Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Dolls shipped with plastic neck tie?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member JustMagicMaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2002
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I was reading the "Collectible American Girl Dolls ~ An Insider's Guide" and she had a note that if you find a doll with a plastic neck tie that the doll was sent in to the hospital for a new head. However, my GT21 (purchased direct from AG I think in 2004) has a plastic tie. The GT4 that I bought at the same time (I was being self-indulgent! [img]smile.gif[/img] ) has neck strings. I sent her a correction but I wanted to check with you guys and find other people with the same experience. So, does anyone else have an American Girl doll who came directly from AG with a plastic neck tie? Do you remember when you bought her?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member american-girl-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2006
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think that they were testing to see if they like the plactic thing and did them on only some dolls?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member JustMagicMaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2002
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think that's right. I'm particularly curious to know if any Historical girls were ever shipped with a plastic neck tie.

    Does the AG hospital still send home re-headed dolls with plastic neck ties? My Lindsey has one for that reason, unfortunately, because I didn't know enough then to include a note requesting a neck string.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member J9S's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2006
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have recieved an AG historical doll direct from AG WITH the dreaded plastic tie. Believe it or not, this was in the 90s on my very first doll, Samantha. Since I was a little girl at the time, I didn't care much. I noticed it because my friend's dolls had strings but I never said anything. I think I was secretly afraid of Samantha being taken and never coming home.

    I later got a pm Addy from ebay from the original owner with the tie. We called AG and found out Pleasant Company was sending a few dolls out with the plastic tie to test customer reaction to it. I ended up with two of these dolls and when I explained to AG I had two of them, they told me they would replace the plastic tie with neckstrings for free if we wanted.

    And they did. I'm very happy my girls have strings now and AG was very cooperative and nice about it. This was the first time I ever heard about these test dolls though.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member JustMagicMaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2002
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Janine_Nicole! It's nice to know they'll replace them. Maybe I could drop my two off next time I visit AGPlace (hopefully October) if they'll do them for free. It doesn't make a huge difference to me so I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay shipping for it, but if they'll pay for it completely I would definitely prefer the strings.

    Has anyone had a head replaced at the hospital lately?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member stebbarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2005
    Posts
    261
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just got an Addy doll back from the hospital this week who had silver eye. Her eye's were replaced and she came back with the tie instead of strings. I had forgotten to note anything about the strings! I don't particularly mind the tie and in fact my DD has one doll with the tie and she finds it easier to not have to worry about the strings when she changes her clothing, etc. - Meg

  7. #7
    Inactive Member GillyGals.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2006
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by JustMagicMaria:
    I was reading the "Collectible American Girl Dolls ~ An Insider's Guide" and she had a note that if you find a doll with a plastic neck tie that the doll was sent in to the hospital for a new head. However, my GT21 (purchased direct from AG I think in 2004) has a plastic tie. The GT4 that I bought at the same time (I was being self-indulgent! [img]smile.gif[/img] ) has neck strings. I sent her a correction but I wanted to check with you guys and find other people with the same experience. So, does anyone else have an American Girl doll who came directly from AG with a plastic neck tie? Do you remember when you bought her?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Some of us talked about this last year when I got my daughters Molly for her for Christmas. Molly came to us direct from the factory with a plastic neck pull tie. I called AG and was informed that all of their dolls will eventually have them.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Jeanette M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ....talked about this last year when I got my daughters Molly for her for Christmas. Molly came to us direct from the factory with a plastic neck pull tie. I called AG and was informed that all of their dolls will eventually have them.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haven't we had more recent information stating that AG received so many complaints about the zip ties that they changed their mind about this and were reverting back to strings on all new dolls? [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] I was sure someone gave us this information just a few months back....

  9. #9
    Inactive Member keristars's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2006
    Posts
    147
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What exactly is the plastic closure like? I'm getting the impression that it's similar to one of those plastic things they put around extension cords that are a pain to remove. The pictures I've seen haven't really shown me much.


    [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] <font color="#e57c61">--- KERI ---</font> [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member J9S's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2006
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's a small plastic zip tie, I think if I remember that's exactly what I've seen to tie cords together like you said. It's very cheap looking and I'm not a fan myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •